Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Blog 32

When our receptionist told me at 9:08 that Brian wanted On Air right away....I  knew what lie ahead....  Brian was at the Sheriff's office for the Press Conference regarding the remains found recently near Glide.  The Sheriff had only been talking for a few minutes...so if Brian was calling now, our gut feeling was probably correct.   Indeed  - those remains are those of  Stephanie Condon, missing since 1998.   Much of the rest of the day was spent on the story, while Brian had to head north to handle the Ducks Broadcast from Eugene.  For media people (most anyway) days like this are very complex emotionally.  There is so much to do, you have to really hustle to do a good job on the story.  And as new developments came up (Hill's arrest) you are sometimes scrambling to get the facts in the  time frame you have.  I have my own version of short hand...so at times today portions of the story were scribbled on post its until I could get onto a computer in the studio.   During all this hustle, I found myself trying to relate on how I would handle something similiar.  And around 11:30 I wondered if I was going to get through the noon news without - dare I say it - getting choked up on air. It was the hardest story to write I have done in a few years.  I noted some of my friends in other media were also affected by it as well.  The story continues to evolve and we will do our best to cover it. 

But as a parent - my heart goes  out to the Condons tonight.  You are in our thoughts and prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment