Saturday, February 28, 2009

Blog 27

As I write, its Saturday night 2/28 around 6:45pm. I am at the station running the ABC Special on the life of Paul Harvey. Paul died earlier today. I am at a loss for words to say how it affects me. I have been literally listening to Paul Harvey my whole life. I remember mornings at home in Roseburg, then Baker City, the Medford, then Portland. Paul Harvey was part of the family ritual in the morning. I normally missed the noon 15 minute cast while at school, but remember very clearly that in our house - at noon on Saturday, there was silence in the house - because Paul Harvey was talking and everyone listened. This was a solid rule in our family growing up. One of the thee most steadfast rules I remember from growing up. When Paul Harvey is talking, be quiet and listen! All these years in radio, and KQEN is the first station I worked at that aired Paul Harvey. But I often listened while working in other places. Doing the news the past few years, I have paid more attention to how Paul Harvey produces a show. His writing style was clearly unique and he communicated like none other. Just now I heard Charles Osgood on our news talking about working for ABC in the past. He said the same thing I wrote earlier. When Paul Harvey was on, his newsroom was quiet as everyone listened. Amazing the affect one man has had on our industry and on many lives. How did Paul Harvey affect you? Email me and let me know. Be listening for more on KQEN honoring Paul Harvey.

No comments:

Post a Comment